Wednesday, 29 October 2014

not the sound ! expected


[Edit: in more ways than one it turns out. I bought some new headphones and now it sounds totally dull, bassy and over amplified/distorted in mids and highs. Is it my headphones (old or new), my soundcard or maybe even my ears? I don't know, but now it sounds completely shit - even if it wasn't perfect before. I'll have to re-do it and upload another one.]

I was recording HL2DM in-game audio with Cool Edit whilst playing on a busy server and intended to do something completely different from this, but somehow on this occasion there was a fuck up and I recorded nothing but harsh noise. This is what I've processed that noise to sound like. Mostly processed with dtblkfx and a variety of other plugins in Sonar 7. It might hurt your ears at about a minute or so in, so mind your levels with headphones, assuming you aren't bored to tears before then.

The beats are just heavily filtered/gated distorted noise from the original recording and I've made no attempt at arranging them in any coherent musical sense - that doesn't interest me.

Download if you wish.

2 comments:

Erik Bartlam said...

That is extremely disorienting with the "beat"...but also extremely engaging with the shredding sound.

More of this.

toiletrolltube said...

Right then, more you shall have. I'll upload the 7+ minutes relentless monotony version when I've experimented with a few different processes on it. I made a mess of the low frequencies here anyway.